Why do you take and create images?
I like capturing things that appeal to me, and going back to them to remind myself of the feeling I felt at that instant, even if I do not initially understand why I was drawn to it at that moment.
How do you define your photographic/artistic body of work? What subjects do you often explore in your work?
The simplest answer to that would be as a visual diary, as I’m quite forgetful－so much so that a lot of images get buried in the photo library, which I forget to get back to. Almost anything and everything－shadows, patterns, people, shapes.
What motivates your work?
My work is reactionary and instinctive, so it’s a natural response to whatever I perceive to be as stimuli.
What relationship does your work have with reality?
I guess it speaks mostly about my own reality and existence.
For you, what is the purpose of art?
Art gives my life meaning, so what to do? LOL!
How do you want the public to respond to your work? Do you have a particular audience in mind?
Any reaction would be ok; and no, the audience does not figure in the creative process.
What is your training? Were you trained as a photographer?
I finished dentistry in school but I never liked it, nor practiced. No, which is maybe why I like to use the cellphone camera.
How do you define your actual professional situation? What are your expectations?
I am a full-time visual artist just getting by, with no expectations－I just want to be able to live and not merely survive.
It’s hard to live off art. Does this affect you and your work?
Sometimes it does get difficult especially when it’s money-related stress (which is the toughest for me to handle) and you have to pay bills and rent. It also is a challenge to produce work, which is why I have a lot of unproduced photos. What I do is shift mediums to that which would allow me to create at that moment with what I have available that I don’t need to buy.
Have you worked with gallerists, curators, institutions and other art professionals? Can you discuss more about this particular relationship?
Yes, I have worked with all of the above, but I’ve actually been getting disillusioned with the gallery scene, given the high percentage cuts which makes it more difficult to live. Another thing is the question of transparency and honesty with some gallery owners.
Curators I like, as I get an insight into my own work, and in the process makes me understand why I do what I do.
In your opinion, what is the current state of contemporary photography in the Philippines?
There still isn’t a big appreciation for works on paper in the Philippines, and more so for photography.
How do you want contemporary photography to develop in the Philippines?
I would like for it to be at par with the other mediums like paintings on canvas and not be perceived as a lesser art form.
Name: Jun-Jun Catral Sta.Ana
Location: Lives and works in Manila, Philippines
Degree in Dentistry
Awards and Recognition:
Shortlisted- the 1st Ateneo Art Awards 2003 (though later disqualified for being over the age limit); shortlisted- public art competition for the Fullerton Station of the CTA Brown Line train (2008).
- 2016 “HAGIOGRAPHY”. Art Informal Gallery, Greenhills, Manila, Philippines
- 2013 “Autobiography”. NOVA Gallery, Makati City, Philippines
- 2011 “IDentity 1”. Negros Museum of Art, Bacolod City, Philippines
- 2011 “IDentity 2”. Avellana Art Gallery, Pasay City, Philippines
- 2010 “Bulong From Within: Motifs, Invocations and Incantations”. Center On Halsted, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2006 “Lar(a)uan”: Unconventional Portrait Show. Avellana Art Gallery, Pasay City, Philippines
- 2005 “Recent Works On Plastic”. Avellana Art Gallery, Pasay City, Philippines
- 2005 “Untitled”. Eastwind Bookstore,Westwood, CA, USA
- 2004 “Untitled”. “O” Gallery, Silverlake, California, USA
- 2003 “Bulong: Morphed Anatomy & Incantation” Avellana Art Gallery, Pasay City, Philippines
- 2017 “Team Mag Pride Show”. Pineapple Lab, Makati City, Philippines
- 2016 “Papers and Layers”. Association of Pinoyprintmakers, The Cultural Center of the Phillipines.
- 2016 “Perya”. Vargas Museum, University of the Philippines
- 2016 “Base Camp Maximus X Tin-aw”. Mandaluyong City, Philippines
- 2016 “Pride Night”. Pineapple Lab, Makati City, Philippines
- 2015 “AND”. The University of Tennesee,Knoxville; The University of Wisconsin, Madison; and the University of Iowa, USA
- 2015 “CHROMATEXT REBOOTED”. The Cultural Center of the Philippines
- 2015 “Territories”. The Cultural Center of the Philippines
- 2015 “Time Lapse”. Tin-Aw Gallery, Makati City, Philippines
- 2015 “FOUND”. (2-Person show). The Cultural Center of the Philippines.
- 2015 “SCRATCHED”. Kapitana Gallery, Talisay City, Negros Occ., Philippines
- 2014 “Kandinsky”. J. Studio, Veterans Center, Taguig City, Philippines
- 2014 “Philippine Association of Printmakers’ Group Show. German Center, Makati City
- 2014 “Not Yet Titled”. Art Informal Gallery, Greenhills, Philippines
- 2014 “Mix Hang”. Drawing Room Gallery, Singapore
- 2013 “North Light”.BenCab Museum, Baguio City, Philippines
- 2012 “Positive Reinforcement”. Peanut Gallery, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2012 “New Media Festival”.Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, LA, CA, USA
- 2012 “Mail Art”.1951 Café, Manila Philippines
- 2012 “Genesis 2013”.Jackson Junge Gallery, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2012 “Chicago Artists’ Month Group Show”.Frankenstone Art Center,Chicago, IL USA
- 2011 “iImage: The Uncommon Portrait”. Portsmouth Museum of Art, NH, USA
- 2011 “Coming Together in Skokie”. Skokie Public Library, Skokie, IL. USA
- 2011 “The Drawing Show”. Avellana Art Gallery, Philippines
- 2011 “New & Improved 3”. Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, Los Angeles, CA USA
- 2011 “2011 Self-Portrait Exhibition”. 33 Contemporary Gallery, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2011 “Regalo”. Avellana Art Gallery, Pasay City, Philippines
- 2010 “Art Cabinet Group Show”.Picasso Residences Makati, Philippines
- 2010 “In Bloom”. Jackson Junge Gallery, Chicago, IL USA
- 2010 “2010 Chicago Art Open”. River East Art Center, Chicago, IL USA
- 2010 “New American Landscape”.Los Manos Gallery, Chicago, IL USA (Group show of featured artists in New American Landscape book).
- 2010 “Curator’s Choice Part 2”. Coalition Gallery, Chicago, IL USA
- 2010 “The Filipino As Artist in Chicago”. Philippine Consulate Chicago, IL. USA
- 2010 “Concatenation”.Los Angeles Center for Digital Art, CA USA
- 2010 “Mail Art”. Capitana Gallery, Talisay City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
- 2010 “Resilience” Center on Halsted, Chicago, IL USA
- 2009 “Flow Magazine Featured Artists Show”. Silverlens Gallery, Makati City, Philippines
- 2009 “Asian Inspiration”. Little Black Pearl Art Center, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2009 “Avellana Art Gallery Anniversary Show”.Pasay City, Philippines
- 2009 “21 In A Million Part 2”.River East Arts Center, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2009 “Cut & Paste”, (3-Person Show). Coalition Gallery, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2009 “New & Improved 2”. L.A. Center For Digital Art, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 2009 “Viewpoint”.Center On Halsted, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2008 “Connected Unconscious”.Brooklyn Academy of Music, Brooklyn, New York, USA
- 2008 “Illuminators”.Koltsovo Airport, Yekaterinburg, Russia
- 2008 “New & Improved”. LA Center for Digital Art, Los Angeles, California, USA
- 2008 “Chicago Art Open 2008”.Merchandise Mart, Chicago, IL, USA
- 2008 “8 FACES”. Avellana Art Gallery, Pasay City, Philippines
- 2008 “Liturgical & Sacred Art Exhibition 2008”. Springfield Art Association, Springfield, IL
- 2008 “8x8x8”.Avellana Art Gallery,Pasay City, Philippines
- 2008 “BEHIV Emerging Energy”. The Center on Halsted, Chicago, IL. USA
- 2008 “DUMBO Art Under The Bridge Festival”. Brooklyn Art Project, New York USA
- 2008 “Returns”. Get Knifed Gallery, Chicago, IL, USA
- 2007 Art Futura 2007: “Innovation”. Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL USA
- 2007 “Containment”. Art Gecko, LTD., Oak Park, IL, USA
- 2006 “Passion & Fusion”. a-11 Gallery, Pasay City, Philippines
- 2005 “Wahana Project Exhibition”.Vargas Museum, University Of The Philippines
- 2005 “Top 40”. Los Angeles Center for Digital Art
- 2005 “L.A. Art Fest 2005”. Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 2005 Untitled. Rosetta Stone Gallery. Los Feliz, CA, USA
- 2003 “Black & White”. Intercontinental Hotel, Makati, Philippines