Why do you take and create images?
I want to share to other people how I view the world through my work
How do you define your photographic/artistic body of work? What subjects do you often explore in your work?
I believe my work revolves around youth culture and my daily life.
What motivates your work?
Hearing the opinions of my work from other people motivates me to continue and produce more work.
What relationship does your work have with reality?
I believe my work documents youth culture in Bacolod city
For you, what is the purpose of art?
Art is a distraction from the stresses and redundancy of routine life.
How do you want the public to respond to your work? Do you have a particular audience in mind?
I want to provoke, I want the viewer to feel something when they look at my work. I am at an experimental stage as of the moment, I don’t have a particular audience yet.
What is your training? Were you trained as a photographer?
I am self-taught.
How do you define your actual professional situation? What are your expectations?
Photography has been and always will be my favorite past-time. As long as I enjoy something, it is a sufficient reason for me to continue doing it.
It’s hard to live off art. Does this affect you and your work?
It does not affect my work, I do not live off my art.
Have you worked with gallerists, curators, institutions and other art professionals? Can you discuss more about this particular relationship?
I have not.
In your opinion, what is the current state of contemporary photography in the Philippines?
Vague, but more photography exhibitions are being held which is a good sign that Filipinos are beginning to see photography in the same light as painting and sculpture?
How do you want contemporary photography to develop in the Philippines?
I wish Filipinos to be more aware of contemporary photography in the Philippines.
Name: Chomin Aberasturi
Location: Lives and works in Bacolod City, Philippines.
- University of Saint La Salle, Bacolod City
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Major in Marketing
- La Consolacion College, Bacolod City
Bachelor of Fine Arts Major in Industrial Design
- University of Saint La Salle-Integrated School, Bacolod City
Awards and Recognition:
- La Salle Alma Mater Award and La Salle High School Athletic Award
- The La Salle Yearbook – Associate Photo and Video Editor (2015-2017)
- The La Salle Marketers’ Union – Member (2015 – 2016)
- Marketing Fair 2015 – 1st Place in the Best Product Category with the “Drop Hanger”
- Marketing Fair 2015 – 1st Place in the Best Marketer Category
- The Spectrum – Photojournalist/Magazine Photographer (2014-2015)
- La Consolacion College Student Government Committee (2013-2014)
2017 Sooner or Later, Paderna Art Space, Bacolod City, Philippines
2016 Heavy Duty, Secret Fresh, Manila, Philippines